Designed by Bolesław Schmidt, Czesław Boratyński and Edward Kreisler, the edifice was constructed intermittently in the years 1934-1989. In 1998, the installation of special lifts and hoists enabled visitors with disabilities to tour the Museum.
The main building of the National Museum in Krakow houses the seat of the Director and administration of the Museum, Finance and Accounting Department as well as Department of Inventories, Art Conservation Department, Department of Exhibitions, Department of Educational Programmes and Publicity, Promotion Team, Marketing Team, Department of Publications, Library and Reading Room, Human Resources Department, Technical Department, Maintenance Department and Security. In addition, it is home to photography and art studios and conservation studios for painting and sculpture, decorative arts, textiles, frames and gilding, furniture and upholstery, as well as museum workshops.
In the Main Building there is a permanent gallery of the National Museum in Krakow:Gallery 'Arms and Uniforms' in Poland
In September this year, a permanent gallery of Polish art of the 20th and 21st centuries will be opened.
In keeping with the Museum's mission, the temporary exhibition halls of the Main Building serve as venues for short-term exhibitions, presenting both the works belonging to its collections and those on loan from other institutions or private collectors.