Save a tree. Do not print this unless it is really necessary
The exhibition presents a selection of the most valuable works of art and historical items from the collection of the Czartoryski family. The collection’s history can be traced back to 1801, when Princess Izabela Czartoryska established the ﬁrst Polish museum in Puławy. After the November Uprising (1830–1831), the collection was moved across the border to Paris.
Greatly extended by Prince Władysław Czaroryski, it was transferred by him to Krakow (1876). Since 1950 the collection, which is now property of the State, has been under custody of the National Museum in Krakow. The exhibition – which encompasses all kinds of objects: ancient art (antique sculptures, Egyptian and Etruscan sarcophagi), Polish paintings (Master Georgius’s The Annunciation, 1517), European paintings (Rembrandt’s Landscape with the Good Samaritan, 1638), decorative arts (ivory items, enamelwork, maiolica, silverware, textiles), Polish and foreign militaria (armour, weapons, saddles, shields), memorabilia (Shakespeare, Rousseau, Henry VIII, Napoleon Bonaparte), prints, illuminated manuscripts and old books – unveils the diversity and richness of the collection that contains exhibits dating back to various periods from ancient Egypt up to the 19th century.